Australian Opener gets lazer surgery


BRIDGETOWN (Reuters) - Australia opening batsman Phil Jaques scored his first test century on foreign soil on Saturday and credited laser eye surgery with improving his performance at the crease.

Jaques, who scored 108 against West Indies on the third day of the third test, had played with contact lenses in the past but before heading out to the Caribbean he turned to the experts to correct his vision.

"I decided to bite the bullet and go for the laser eye," he said.

"The guys at the Eye Institute sorted me out. It was really good.

"I've found that in the field the high balls were heaps better and as for batting I've got a lot more time and I don't have to worry about the contacts. It's a big relief. It's pretty much changed my life," he added.

Jaques and Simon Katich put on 223 for the opening wicket -- the second best in an Australia second innings -- and Jaques said they had taken advantage of an improved batting surface.

"I think today was probably the best day to bat. I think the pace wasn't quite as evident in the wicket as the first day. I think the bounce was probably a little more consistent as well.

"It will be interesting to see how the next two days pan out. It definitely spun a bit more towards the end of play, watching it from up top. Hopefully our quick bowlers can get the early wickets and the spinners can finish it off," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts